December rushes by so quickly that the only trail it leaves is on our our empty plates and our waists. Amid holiday boozing and all those extra servings of lechon, we forget to give ourselves the gift of dietary balance and weight maintenance.
With yoga, however, fitness is literally a stretch away. Contrary to popular belief, yoga burns fat and as Kapitolyo yoga studio Urban Ashram can attest, you don’t have to be flexible from the beginning.
The START asked Urban Ashram instructor Nica Hechanova to share basic yoga positions that are perfect for engaging our core and toning our midsections, all of which you can do from the comfort of your Rockwell Primaries unit. Before the onslaught of Noche Buena and Media Noche, here’s a fitness cheat sheet fto combat countless cheat days.
1. Plank pose and Side Plank pose
- Come down on your forearms. Align your shoulders with your wrists. Keep your legs straight and tuck your tailbone towards your heels.
- Lie on your side while resting on your forearm. Align your elbow with your shoulder. Lift your hips off the floor. Keep your hips square and your neck in line with your spine.
2. Full Boat pose and Half Boat pose
- From a seating position, bend your knees. Place your fingers behind your hips with your elbows bent away from you. Balance like a letter V and Lean back, lifting your heels while drawing your shoulder blades together. Slowly straighten your legs and release your arms forward, palms facing up.
- For the half boat, it’s the same with the full boat but just a more opened position. Nica’s closest comparison to this position is a canoe. For the obliques, do a variation of twists.
3. Locust pose
- Lie on your belly with your arms at your sides and your legs extended straight behind you. Inhale and raise your forehead, then exhale to lift your chest and arms. Lift your upper spine and thighs, then reach for the balls of your feet.
4. Triangle pose
- From a standing position with feet apart, turn your right toes 90 degrees to your right and your left toes slightly inwards. Inhale and press the left hips out to your left as you slide both arms to the right parallel to the floor.