Photos by Ina Jacobe
Malou Fores knows what gathers people excitedly around a dinner table. Her restaurant Mamou is the sort that gets bickering family members to sit together in lip-smacking accord, and a testament to what makes it all possible: a mother’s cooking.
Now in the season of taking comfort in loved ones over a spread of comfort food, The Start asked Malou if she could share a holiday hit from her family’s table. “In our home, it’s always Majestic ham, Marca Pato, baked beans, and then Russian salad,” says Malou of Christmust eats, last of which is a recipe of her mother’s.
Malou prepared the salad at her new Power Plant restaurant, CDP (Chefs du Partie), perfect for festive get-togethers over wine, cocktails, and charcuterie. Of course, we couldn’t stop with one serving.
35 grms. Celery, Finely Sliced
450 grms. Potatoes, Boiled and Cubed
450 grms. Sugar Beets, Cubed
95 grms. Green Beans, Boiled and Halved
310 grms. Carrots, Boiled and Cubed
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp. Capers, Minced
Pinch Salt & Pepper
1/2 tbsp. Sugar Syrup
45 grms. Gherkins, Finely Sliced
- In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, celery, and green beans until thickened.
2. Now add the cubed vegetables including the beets, carrots, and of course the potatoes. Mix into the thickened dressing.
3. Pour the syrup into the bowl and continue mixing.
4. Season to taste and store in the refrigerator overnight.
5. Transfer to an attractive serving dish and add to your holiday spread! Enjoy!